January 19, 2016

Refinished Floors

The whole idea of this blog was for me to keep a dated journal for us to look back on our progress. It was supposed to chronicle our progress in real time. 

Ain't nobody got time for that. 

My pictures are dated so I can back date and at least keep track that way. AND I've got a little time now, thanks to winter weather and baby nap time. 

December 3, 2015:
Walter and I (but mostly Walter) had previously repaired rotted sub flooring and had patched rotted hardwood pieces. Because so much sanding would be required, we hired a company to refinish our hardwood floors. 
Dining room. The floor had been painted.

Here is an example of having to patch new red oak in with the old. The patching was very uneven, but the crew sanded
it until level. 


We had to replace the entirety of the bathroom floor from the sub-floor up. The flooring is new red oak we bought from a bargain shop. 



The floors are original to the house and, therefore, are rich in character. Consequently, with character comes stains, water damage, etc.  Don't get me wrong, we wanted the floors to look old, we just felt that left natural they would distract from the beauty and charm of the floor. After much deliberation, we chose to stain our red oak floors Special Walnut (Minwax). 

  

  


We chose a satin polyurethane because I didn't want the floors to be shiny. The man who applied it said that although it is a little shiny at first, it would wear down and leave just a little sheen.

We are so close! Currently working on the finishing touches.