April 23, 2014

That time of year!

The last few weeks of March rendered themselves useless to us because our weekends were devoted to watching the UK Wildcats make an amazing run in the NCAA tournament.

The first weekend of spring, Walter was greeted with an allergy attack (nice to see you too, spring). While he couldn't enjoy the great outdoors like he wished, he did manage to capture some images of a forest fire running rampant in the mountains across from us. Yes, it's that time of year too.





The next weekend, we were runnin'.

Our town holds an annual Redbud Festival celebrating our Appalachian culture. This year, to kick off the festivities they Barbourville Junior Women's Study Club sponsored a 5k where the money paid to enter went to a charity, the run was called No Excuse for Child Abuse.

Even though I value my health (most of the time) and believe exercise is important, I don't always feel like paying that money to run streets I could run any other day for free. BUT, as a teacher and summer camp counselor who works with kids regularly and feels the need to represent them in anyway I can, I took action and signed Walter and I up for it.

It was fun (even though I almost threw up once right before the finish line because someone threw a cup full of pink dyed cornstarch directly into my mouth). Fortunately, the WYMT reporter didn't see that. Oh yeah, did I mention Walter and I were interviewed for the news that day? We thought that was cool until we saw ourselves through the lens of a news camera. Yikes. Thankfully, the Wildcats were playing to get into the championship game that same day, so we weren't headliners.

Our photo courtesy of WYMT-TV. You can see the video story by clicking the link.


No comments :

Post a Comment