January 26, 2014

Auld Lang Syne

December brought little snow here in Kentucky. In fact, the weather was somewhat mild (compared to now). Much of the month was spent decorating inside our cottage, Christmas parties, shopping, and traveling. We said good bye to another year in a new home. 

1. Deck the Halls. After waiting out the pre-Thanksgiving Christmas decorating bug, we went to work on decorating our tiny place. I didn't get to do a lot of decorating (but isn't less really more sometimes?) in this little cottage, but I did decorate lavishly in the rock house (in my head). So, here are the decorations I did do. I arranged most of the decorations and put where I found the ornaments and such.

Putting up our Christmas tree (Lowes). Actually, plopping it into the stand.
We didn't do a much indoor decor at all, just strung some lights on the tree and around the house. That'll come in the next house. So here's a shot of the lights on the tree.

I decorated the porch instead of the inside. The lantern was on sale (60% off) at JoAnne fabrics, along with the pine cone garland.
Two red egg baskets come from a friend. They were stuffed with jingle bells (JoAnne fabric), pine cones (collected from my parent's yard and baked to dry them out), a spool (came from the burlap ribbon I used on the wreath), and a bird ornament (K-mart). The same decor was put into the lantern. This also shows a close up of the pine cone garland (JoAnne fabric).

New chalkboard message. Chalkboard paint was used on a mirror I found in a thrift store several years ago. It makes for a very pretty chalkboard, but erasing the previous drawings can sometimes be difficult. 

Chalkboard paint above the red door to welcome the holidays. The door is painted Fiery Red (Walmart).

The white bench is the perfect size for seating on the small cottage porch. The baskets and cushions were picked up by a friend from various yard sales.

This basket nestled pine branches picked from my parent's pines (somehow we have zero at our place), some holly I picked from our bushes, pine cones, an owl ornament (K-mart), and a bird nest (Jo-Ann). I was really into the bird ornaments this year.
This was an adorable present from Mom. She bought it at the Daniel Boone Festival this year from one of the craft booths.

The wreath was bought from Lowes. I decorated it with holly, pine cones, jingle bells (JoAnne), burlap ribbon (JoAnne), and two bird ornaments (K-mart). It was simple, but with a fire red door, simple is good.
2. Party Hoppin'. The Wednesday before Christmas kicked off the party season. It didn't end until, well, the day after Christmas, but if you consider a wedding a party, then, the party didn't stop until Dec. 28th.
An ugly sweater party kicked off the season.



Christmas with the family. Take 1. (Four family parties total!)

For Christmas I got a new tripod and zoom lens for my camera that I couldn't wait to try out. I also got a set of 1930's silverware and some other vintage finds! (My Etsy wish list/obsession paid off.) In addition, I got some great reads which came in very handy since I've been confined to my living quarters for so long now.

3. Traveling. Immediately following Christmas Day, I road tripped to Arkansas for my cousin's wedding. It was only  a 12 hour drive. She was married at Thorncrown Chapel-- a stunningly beautiful place.

The trip was a long one. There wasn't a lot to see on the way, but I did get to see St. Louis again. 


Walter decided not to go on the trip with me. But as a peace offering for backing out (just kidding), he made some great gains on the rock house. While I was away, he, along with my brother, tore out the rest of the rotten floor from the downstairs bath. Thanks, Bro.

The floor work from another angle.










Even though Walter and I had lofty high huge impossible plans to be in our newly remodeled home, we've found out that's just not the way it works when you decide to remodel with your own four hands (or more because we have wonderful friends and family) and work full time. Sometimes, you're just tired. Other times something happens in your life that demands your full attention. Yet, one thing this venture has shown me is you keep looking forward (although reminiscing is important too), and you're able to do that with friends and family and above all God. 

2013, you were a year that will never be forgotten. Here's to being able to show how I decorated the rock house this time next year. (Hey, I've also learned to keep dreaming big.)


Bringing in the new year with friends and family at EBC.


In memory of two wonderful men lost this year.
Pappaw
Love Always.
Jan. 18, 1940- Aug. 3, 2013

Duran Lundy
You were a light.
Nov. 21, 1967- Dec. 31, 2013


1 comment :

  1. Hello Jessica thank you for visiting Simply Farmhouse. And for following me. We too live in Ky.
    I look forward to see the remodeling of your farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete