November 1, 2013

Fall on the Farm

October started with eighty degree weather. In fact, our annual Daniel Boone Festival had most of us longing for shade. You could catch people in tanks, tees, and shorts. Then, temperatures dropped just like they were Wyle E. Coyote chasing the Road Runner off a cliff in a Looney Toon.  Suddenly, it was rainy and cold. Then, everyone around me began sniffling and coughing. Pretty soon I found myself doing the same. In fact, I've had a head cold for two and a half weeks now which really hasn't allowed me to do much of anything.

Yet, the weather warmed up a little. And even though my head still feels like I'm living underwater, if I can work I can play right? So, we had our first bonfire on the farm. A group of teens from a camp I work at during the summer (and during the year when there is no class) came up and we had devotions around a fire. It was nice singing songs and spending time together.

During some of our cool nights, the two of us roasted marshmallows, ate smores, and watched the sparks fly. It was kind of romantic. Walter also taught me how to shoot a rifle and a handgun. When I blew the cap off a buttermilk bottle we were using as a target, he looked at me and told me, "If we're ever in a zombie apocalypse, I wanna be on your team." Oddly, I found that sweet and possibly even more romantic than sitting around the fire together. This can only mean two things: 1. I've been watching too much Walking Dead. and 2. I'm becoming more of a redneck each and every day.

Through all of our "adventures" I would look around and wonder, "Are the leaves ever going to change colors? Are we ever going to see visual proof of fall?" I was very curious to see the colors our new landscape could conjure up. And much to my disappointment, I hadn't seen any. Last week, I looked out my window and saw all the colors I had been waiting so (un)patiently to see.








And just as quickly as it came, it was gone. In fact, today our beautiful red tree was bare thanks to the fifty mile per hour wind we experienced last night. Well, fall, it was nice while it lasted.

As far as construction goes, Walter has cleared lots of  brush and made lots of brush fires. We had someone cut our hay for us and that cleared much of our land. We've also finally drawn up  plans for our renovation! It's a much longer process than I ever imagined. And honestly, I had no clue what we were getting into, but I think know that it will be worth it.


The tractor that cut our hay. I want one just like it.

1 comment :