October 13, 2013

Keep Out!


Another outside project we've been working on is putting up a gate to block access to our property. While we do love company, we were growing tired of the numerous people pulling up asking us if our houses were for rent or peeking in the windows of the houses to see what was going on inside.

Oh, and people asking if they could take their four-wheeler up the mountain and hunt.

So, the first thing Walter did was post that  private property sign. You know, in case the gate doesn't give enough of a hint.

A cattle gate mounted to a cut telephone pole guards our driveway.
Then came project #2: the gate. Cutting, digging, and setting the poles was a (easy) job. After two weekends, we finally have a bright red gate that adds to our farm land.

While we waited for the concrete to dry, I had a little time to work on a project for the gate. I found a piece of scrap wood, mixed some creamy paint and water and "white washed" the wood. Then, I just painted the name of our lane out on the board and roughed it up a bit with some sand paper. I put another watery coat of paint over the letters once it had dried.

It was a fun, easy sign to make. Still not sure how I feel about my penmanship though...
The sign before we hung it on the gate.
 The board already had some nail wholes so we just laced some wire through and wrapped it around the pole of the gate. Project 2 is complete!
The finished gate.

2 comments :

  1. Ha ha ~ amazing how people can just pull and peek within.....I don't blame you I would put up a gate also!!

    ReplyDelete